Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Right decisions

We make decisions every day.  How do you know whether you are making the right decision?
It is right when it works.  After all, a bad decisions is always better than no decisions.

(a) What to study for a degree.
When I finished high school, I wasn't sure what to study for a degree.  I only knew I like mathematics and psychology.   My aim was to get a degree as soon as possible and get a job.
Unfortunately, psychology wasn't popular back in my country 15 years ago.   I didn't think I like to be a mathematicians.  So, I chose accounting.  That's right, the boring accounting. 
My reasoning is, knowing accounting can set a strong foundation if I ever choose to be in business, be manager , sales, etc etc.
I worked in auditing and accounting, and now I implement accounting systems.  I knew I made the right decision as I applied the knowledge I learnt to my work successfully.

When I don't know what to choose, I use the elimination method, just like doing multiple choice.
When I don't know what is best, I make a decision that will give me the best return.

(b) Manage or be managed
I used to work in a big accounting team with a multinational company with staffs reporting to me.  It was a good pay job but extremely long hours. While I enjoyed leading and working in a team, I hate dealing with politics among managers. 
Anyway, one day, I decided to change my career path to IT and chose to work in a smaller company. 
In big company, there is very clear definition of reponsibilities for each role.
In a smaller company, you will need to be more flexible.  Unavoidably, I am asked to work on things which is beyond my technical knowledge.  Sometimes it is ok, sometimes I hate it. 

The change has brought me:
Good thing:
- a good leader, who I consistently enjoy learning technical stuffs from him;
- less politics and my leader will have to handle it and I just need to focus on my work

Bad things:
- someone else is making decisions for me and I have less say in it.
- less negotiation power to employer as a manager can possibly ask for higher pay
- I am working in a project with a project manager who has very different ways of thinkings from me.  I am at a dilemma to make specific request to my boss for not involve in projects managed by him/her.  At one hand, I know I should behave and handle it professionally.  On the other hand, my frustration is building up.   Instead of repeating  the cycle of  frustration every time we are in the same project, why not just be upfront and get the hit?

There is no right or wrong decision here.  It is just a matter of what carry more weights.

1 comment:

  1. I guess sometimes it's difficult to be assured of making the 'right' decision. My take is to spend enough time (the fair share that you can afford to) thinking about it, then make a decision you think would be the 'best'. And after that live with it and make the best out of the situation. In life we make decisions all the time, sometimes it turn out to our favor, sometimes it doesn't. But life goes on. And we will proceed and live happily no matter what.

    ReplyDelete